Currently, the Kura River experiences a significant decline in water level in its downstream part, especially in Salyan and Neftchala regions. A decline in water level in downstream Kura River resulted in the intensification of seawater intrusion with saline water migrating to the approximately 30 km of the River. The communities residing across the Kura River are severely affected. More than seven villages in Neftchala region experiences problems with freshwater supply. The current issue of the policy brief addresses the topic of freshwater availability in the Kura River by highlighting underlying problems and providing recommendations to maintain a healthy river ecosystem and to enhance the resilience of the Kura River.View Fullscreen
CCEE Policy Brief No. 40: “The Kura River: Is freshwater availability at stake?”
- CCEE Policy Brief No. 44: "The Electric Vehicles Market in Azerbaijan: Challenges and Recommendations"
- CCEE Policy Brief No. 43: "Biodiversity Loss: Alarm Bell Tolls"
- CCEE Policy Brief No. 42: "Women and Climate Change in Azerbaijan"
- CCEE Policy Brief No. 41: "Public Participation in Environmental Decision-making: The case of Azerbaijan"
- CCEE Policy Brief No. 39: "COVID-19 and the Clean Energy Transition in the Caspian Region"